Named the Best Run City by the Boston Globe in 2006, Somerville is a culturally rich area and features a number of famous landmarks, restaurants, and historical sites. Whether you are looking to escape Boston for the day, or are hunting for your very own Somerville condominium, keep reading to learn about five of our favorite things to do in Somerville.
- Old Powder House – Somerville is an area that is rich with history and roots that date back to 1629. Built in 1703, the Old Powder House, located in Nathan Tufts Park, offers a fascinating story and is a prominent feature of historic Somerville. The structure functioned as both a windmill and a powder house during the 1700s and played an important part during the American Revolution.
- The Somerville Museum – The Somerville Museum is a community-based cultural institution that features exhibitions from local artists, performers, and area students. Travel the world without having to leave the city by attending one of their upcoming musical exhibits that include, Renaissance Music from Spain, Capricious Music of the German Baroque, and Musical Delights from Renaissance France.
- Perry Park– Essential to any urban neighborhood is a great park where residents can walk their dogs, play with their kids, and breathe in the fresh air. A favorite among Somerville locals is the recently renovated Perry Park. The park offers a playground, a walking path, lush trees, and an expansive lawn.
- Somerville Theater – In the heart of Davis Square–a vibrant center filled with cafes, restaurants and nightlife–sits the historic Somerville Theater. Originally opened in 1914, this theater has been transformed into a venue for not just the best current movies, but for several “special film series”. From old silent films to currents including the Independent Film Festival of Boston, there’s always something new to watch at the Somerville Theater.
- Bull McCabe’s – Offering intimate live musical performances 6 nights a week, Bull McCabe’s is an Irish pup that features a variety of different genres and styles of music. Visit the restaurant on a Friday night to hear the Jess Tardy Band, or escape for week night drinks and catch the band KONG on Wednesday evenings.
To find out more about Somerville real estate or to learn more about buying the condo that you’ve always dreamed of, don’t hesitate to contact us today for more information.